Monday, August 26, 2019 / by Natasha McNealy
Since it’s finally back to school season, here are some healthy snack ideas for that after school hunger that will always be a crowd-pleaser. The best part is, if you make these ahead of time, it’s the perfect afternoon snack during your workday as well!
Apple Sandwiches - fun to make and delicious to eat!
- 2 apples
- Peanut Butter (or any nut butter of your choice)
1. Remove apple core and cut the apple into 1/4-1/2 inch thick slices (think flat like a slice of bread)
2. Spread peanut butter on the apple slice
3. Sprinkle with granola and raisins
4. Place another apple slice on top and gently press together
5. Eat like a sandwich!
Sweet Potato Muffins - packed with nutrients and can be stored in the freezer for times of emergency!
- 3 cups of mashed sweet potato (about 3 large or 4-5 small)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed meal (optional)
1. Potatoes must be cooked before mashing. Pierce potatoes with a fork and bake at 400 degrees for about 45 minutes on a lined baking sheet. Once inside is soft, let them cool and peel skin off. Mash the potatoes with a fork or masher so that all big lumps are gone. Measure out 3 cups worth.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Stir in the wet ingredients into the dry, and then add in the sweet potato.
3. Pour the batter into muffin tins or cups. If you are using flaxseed, sprinkle it on top of the muffins. Bake at 325 for about 30 minutes.