Thursday, January 30, 2020 / by Bill Redeker
Kenny Jeon of Yoi Tomo Sushi
Enter to WIN $75.00
Kenny Jeon, owner of the amazingly delicious Yoi Tomo in the heart of BODO - is living the American Dream! Kenny came to the United States in 2005 to study abroad. While President of the Korean Student Association at Utah State University, Kenny always had a great working relationship with business owners in Logan, UT.
Upon graduating with a degree in Business Management and in a difficult economic climate to get a job, one of the Korean business owners offered him a General Manager position at his sushi restaurant. As a quick learner, Kenny soon learned and understood what it took to make a successful business run. Despite the economic climate, under Kenny’s guidance and management, the sushi restaurant saw a 50% increase in business!
One of Kenny’s regular customers told him about Boise, so he ended up driving the short distance from Utah to Idaho and hasn’t looked back.
He opened his restaurant in the heart of BODO (across the street from Trader Joe’s and Mod Pizza on the corner), it gained a following quickly and at around the 5 year mark, Kenny felt the restaurant had taken off. The favorite part of his business is to see happy customers and be able to talk with them, many of which are regulars. His employees, he says, is also another major reason he loves what he does!
Exciting times are ahead for Yoi Tomo, it has become so popular that they have expanded the restaurant and should be open by next weekend. With this 800 sq./ft. addition, they will be able to welcome in another 20-30 people per seating. The process was made easier, he mentioned, due to his amazing landlord.
When Kenny’s not busy running his business or eating his favorite ‘Anger Management’ roll at the restaurant, he is home with his wife, and 2 young kids - sometimes, he says, it’s more tiring keeping up with 2 young energetic kids than running his restaurant.
Kenny’s story is a real inspiration - he is humble, hardworking and an amazing business owner, we are so lucky to call him a friend, a neighbor and have him in our sphere!
5 questions to make you SMILE
- Favorite Local Restaurant (Besides Yours): “My favorite local restaurant is Pho Le. They have good noodle soup and my kids loves their Pho.”
- What Book are you currently reading or just finished: “Between the expansion and spending time with family, I recently haven’t had a chance to read a book."
- Most influential person and why: “I think the most influential person in my life is my brother. He lives in Baltimore and works for water environment company. We talk through the phone once a week and he has been my mentor since I was young."
- Best business or personal advice you have ever received: “If there is some difficult issue with my business, I get advice from my father in law. I feel he has different perspective and the advice comes from him is very helpful and I respect him a lot.”
- Favorite Movie: “Too many to name, but our menu is filled with rolls that have been named after movies I love.”
Agents With A Smile powered by Xperience at Keller Williams Realty Boise is giving away a $75.00 Yoi Tomo gift certificate to one lucky winner! Here’s how to enter:
- Step 1 of 3: Like & Follow our facebook page
- Step 2 of 3: Like our instagram page
- Step 3 of 3: Tag a friend on Instagram and Facebook in our comments section of today’s post (January 31st)
Winner will be announced Friday February 7, 2020
Visit Yoi Tomo at: 405 S Capitol Blvd. in Downtown Boise // (208) 344-3375 // https://www.yoitomo.us